The Culture Change Challenge is an opportunity for people living in long-term care, retirement/independent living, and/or in community settings to share their vision for changing the culture of aging in Canada.
- $500 cash OR
- All-expenses paid trip for 2 to Walk with Me 2016 in Edmonton, Alberta
Congratulations to the Culture Change Challenge Winners!
- Elizabeth Lehman from Ontario: Pencil Crayon Drawing
- Jim Mann from British Columbia: Written Piece & Video
- Residents at Luther Court Society from British Columbia: Visual Aspirations & World Cafe Recording
- Residents at CapitalCare Dickinsfield from Alberta: Photography
- Margaret Gelinas from Ontario: Poster
- Residents at St Judes Anglican Care Home from British Columbia: Song “When I’m 94″
- Darlynna McAvary from Ontario: Painting
- Marion Hird from Ontario: Poem “The Long Journey Home”
Thank you to the Challenge sponsors!
CULTURE CHANGE CHALLENGE | OFFICIAL RULES
By participating in the Culture Change Challenge (the “Challenge”), each entrant agrees to abide by and be bound by these Official Rules. Entrants further agree to abide by and be bound by all decisions of Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging and the Capital Care Foundation (collectively, the “Sponsor”), which shall be final and binding, without right of appeal, in all matters relating to this Challenge and the awarding of the prize(s), including without limitation eligibility and/or disqualification of entries.
There are three (3) separate prize packages available to be won. Prize winners will be given the option of selecting one (1) of the following Prize Packages (the “Prize”):
- Prize Option 1: Trip expenses for the winner and up to one (1) companion to attend Walk with Me (the “Conference”) being held in Edmonton, Alberta (the “Destination”) on March 10-11, 2016, up to a maximum of $2,500. Winners will be given the opportunity to present their submission to the Conference. Costs for transportation (including to/from airport, as applicable), meals (per diem allowance of $67 / person), hotel, and Conference expenses are included in the Prize. The following expenses are not eligible for reimbursement: personal expenses, lost wages, insurance or costs in excess of the per diem allowance of $67 / person.
- Prize Option 2: $500 cash prize.
- The Challenge is open to legal residents of Canada (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence as of the date of entry, and who are currently residing in long-term care, retirement/assisted/independent living, and in community who participate in services e.g. from an Adult Day Center, Senior’s Center or in services at home. In the event that an entrant is not legally capable, his or her legal guardian or individual authorized with power of attorney must submit the entry on behalf of the entrant. Excluded from eligibility are the officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives of Sponsor, the Committee (defined below), and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies (collectively, the “Promotion Entities“), and members of the immediate families (defined as parents, siblings, children and spouses, regardless of where they live) or households (whether or not related) of such officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives.
- The Challenge runs from 12:01 am Eastern Time (“ET”) on June 30th, 2015 to 8:00 pm ET on November 30th, 2015 (the “Challenge Period”). To be eligible, entries must be received during the Challenge Period. A person may submit more than one unique entry as long as it is received by the submission deadline.
- To enter, create an original piece of art (audio, visual, written, theatrical, video, poetry) in any medium. Then, submit the art together with the entry form including your name, telephone, address, and (optionally) email address to the RIA at email@example.com or Culture Change Challenge, c/o Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging, 250 Laurelwood Drive, Waterloo, Ontario, N2J 0E2. Entries become the property of Sponsor upon receipt, and will not be returned. Entrants may choose to submit either the original art or a copy of it should you wish to keep the original.
- Any audio or video submissions must be provided via a link to YouTube or Vimeo. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received and skill in meeting criteria.
- By entering, you represent and warrant that: (i) the entry is your original work, created solely by you, and over which you have all necessary rights, title and interest, including copyright (ii) all individuals appearing in your entry have granted to you permission to publish or otherwise use their likeness in the entry, (iii) your entry does not defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about Sponsor, or other people or organizations, (iv) your entry does not contain any content that is or contains: unlawful behaviour, profanity, explicit sexuality, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, or is hatefully, racially, ethnically or otherwise offensive or objectionable, (v) your entry does not infringe on the intellectual property rights, or defame or invade the publicity or privacy rights, of any third party, living or deceased. (All as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion).
- By entering, you agree as follows: (i) you acknowledge that your entry may be displayed by Sponsor at the Conference, in Sponsor’s sole discretion but without obligation; (ii) you have the right and authority to, and do hereby, grant to Sponsor an irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free worldwide license in perpetuity to reproduce, store, copy, broadcast, display, distribute, edit, alter, combine with other material, publish, post, commercialize and/or otherwise use without limitation all or any part of the entry in any manner or media in connection with the Contest, including without limitation at the Conference; (iii) you waive any and all moral rights that you may have in and to the entry with respect to the uses contemplated herein; and, (iv) you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor from and against any and all claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trade-mark infringement or any other intellectual property related cause of action that relates in any way to Sponsor’s use of the entry.
- Promotion Entities, the Conference and its sponsors are not responsible for any entries that are lost, damaged, misdirected, or undelivered. This includes lost or corrupted email or online entries.
- The entries will be reviewed by a selection committee (the “Committee”) and judged on the basis of potential impact, alignment with the objectives of the Conference and creativity (all equally weighted) (the “Criteria”). The three (3) entries that receive the highest score on the basis of the Criteria will be selected as the potential winners. In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken by conducting a random draw from among all tied entries for the purpose of selecting the potential winner(s). Finalists will be contacted prior to the selection of winners to confirm submitter details.
- The Committee will select the winning entry by Decemeber 20, 2015. Winners must accept and select a Prize Option before December 30, 2015.
- Prize packages must be accepted as awarded based on the Prize Option selected. Maximum value for Prize Option 1 is $2,500. Actual value will vary depending on point of departure and expenses submitted for reimbursement. The winners are responsible for booking all travel arrangements; eligible expenses will be reimbursed. No cash or substitutions available for either Prize Option. Prize must be accepted as awarded and may not be substituted, transferred or redeemed for cash or otherwise. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to substitute a prize of greater or equivalent monetary value if a prize cannot be awarded as described for any reason. Proof of trip travel expenses must be provided to Sponsor no later than March 25, 2016. Reimbursement for prize expenses will be delivered to verified winners only. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen prizes.
- Any other costs or expenses associated with the prizes not specified herein will be the responsibility of selected winner and guest(s) (as applicable), including without limitation communication charges, room service, gratuities, optional tours, insurance, travel documents and medical supplies/equipment. Sponsor will not be responsible if weather conditions, event cancellations, or other factors beyond Sponsor’s reasonable control prevent the prize or part of the prize from being fulfilled, and winner will not be entitled to compensation in lieu thereof. Winner and guest(s) must have no restrictions/limitations on his/her ability to travel or to fully participate in the prize or the prize may be forfeited, in whole or in part and may, at the Sponsor’s discretion, be awarded to an alternate entrant. Winner and guest(s) are responsible for obtaining all necessary travel documentation, medical approvals and permissions and must travel on the same itinerary. Sponsor will not be responsible if winner/guest(s) are denied entry onto aircraft, into the Destination, or return entry. Winner/guest(s) must obey all Conference rules and requirements. Failure to follow such rules and requirements may result in, without limitation, ejection from the Conference and forfeiture of all or part of the prize. Guest(s) must have reached the age of majority in his or her jurisdiction of residence, and will be required to sign and return a Release (as defined below). In the event that a winner is not legally capable, winner must travel at all times with his or her legal guardian or individual authorized with power of attorney.
- Selected entrant(s) will be notified by email or telephone at the email address or telephone number provided at the time of entry. In order to be declared a winner, selected entrant(s) must respond to notification of selection within seven (7) calendar days of first attempt by Sponsor, and sign and return to Sponsor a written declaration and release form, confirming compliance with these Official Rules, releasing the Promotion Entities from any liability in connection with this Challenge or the use, misuse, awarding or possession of any prize, and consenting to Sponsor’s use of their name, photograph, image, statements regarding the submission, place of residence and/or voice, in any and all media, for publicity and promotional purposes without any type of remuneration for this and any future conferences (the “Release”). In the event that a winner is not legally capable, winner’s legal guardian or the individual authorized with his or her power of attorney will be required to ratify the Release.
- Sponsor reserves the right to terminate, suspend or modify this Challenge, in whole or in part, at any time and without notice or obligation if, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, any factor interferes with its proper conduct as contemplated by these Official Rules.
- The personal information you provide to us is collected and used solely for the purposes of Challenge administration and prize fulfillment, including without limitation to process your submission, maintain records pertaining to this Challenge, to keep you informed about the process and to select a winner. We do not sell, trade, or rent your personal information. If at any time you no longer wish to be contacted, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- By entering the Challenge, the entrant releases the Conference and Promotion Entities from any and all claims, liability, losses or damages, costs or expenses of any kind whatsoever which arise out of or result from the entrant’s participation in the Challenge and/or in connection with the acceptance, use, or misuse of the Prize or Prize-related travel, and waives all rights to any recourse in this respect.