Research Sites: Schlegel Villages
Imagine a world in which frontline workers define concepts and needs for research projects, research teams conduct the research on-site, and the knowledge thus generated is immediately incorporated into staff training programs to improve care and quality of life of seniors. Imagine further that the learning from these experiences is incorporated into curriculum at the college and university level for students training for careers in seniors' care.
RIA makes this work, through partnerships with the University of Waterloo (for research), Conestoga College (for training) and eleven seniors' campuses in southwestern Ontario offering a continuum of care from independent living through to long-term care.
These living research environments and living classrooms operate under the corporate umbrella of the Schlegel Villages. Not only do the 3,000 residents benefit from the culture of research and innovation that RIA fosters, it also contributes beyond these communities to system-wide policy and practice improvement. Materials and information are shared with others providing care to seniors in community and long-term care settings, and with other system networks to promote research-informed quality care.
- Village of Winston Park, Kitchener Ontario
- Village of Riverside Glen, Guelph Ontario
- Village of Wentworth Heights, Hamilton Ontario
- Village of Tansley Woods, Burlington Ontario
- Village of Sandalwood Park, Brampton Ontario
- Village of Erin Meadows, Mississauga Ontario
- Village of Taunton Mills, Whitby Ontario
- Village of Humber Heights, Etobicoke Ontario
- Village of Glendale Crossing, London Ontario
- Villages of Aspen Lake, Windsor, Ontario
- Coleman Care Centre, Barrie, Ontario