CHOICE+ is an innovative program that aims to improve the mealtime experience for residents in long-term care by focusing on relationship-centred practices and enhancing the dining environment.
CHOICE+ is made up of 6 principles:
- Connecting – meaningful conversations and socializing
- Honouring Dignity – respecting decisions, choices, and preferences
- Offering Support – supporting residents based on individual needs
- Identity – knowing and accepting residents as unique individuals
- Creating Opportunities – supporting active mealtime participation
- Enjoyment – creating a calm and welcoming dining environment
Two tools were created as part of the CHOICE+ program to help teams in long-term care work towards achieving the CHOICE+ principles:
Mealtime Practices Checklist: to encourage person-centred practices at mealtimes
Dining Room Checklist: to make dining rooms welcoming, comfortable, and enjoyable to be in
These tools were funded in part by the Government of Ontario to the Schlegel Centre for Learning, Research and Innovation in Long-Term Care, and the University of Waterloo.
© Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging, 2017.