Schlegel Centre for Learning, Research & Innovation in Long Term Care
Living Classrooms for Learning
Teaching Long-Term Care Home Program
- Develop and evaluate a Living Classroom environment at the Village of Riverside Glen, Guelph.
- Establish a new long-term care home on north campus at University of Waterloo as Ontario’s first purpose-built Teaching Long-Term Care Home, to open in 2015 (see North Campus).
- Assist other long-term care homes work with local colleges and universities to implement Living Classrooms via:
i. Toolkit and partnership development guide
ii. Coaching program
Enhanced Practice Program
- Package and disseminate Excellence in Resident Centred Care training program (10 modules, each 45 minutes, taught by PSWs to PSWs) .
- Explore and use distance education technologies.
- Develop seniors-relevant content within college programs for PSWs, PNs and PSW-PN bridging.
- Develop and implement interprofessional practice courses and learning strategies.
- Innovate in methods for integrated learning that involve residents and staff in long-term care.
- Develop, deliver and evaluate a 120-hour Leadership program comprised of 6 courses:
- Leadership Foundations and Philosophies
- Approaches to Leadership
- Leadership Strategies and Concepts
- Leadership Skills and Techniques – Managing People
- Leadership Skills and Techniques – Managing Resources and Processes
- Leadership in Quality Improvement
- Implement a program of student rotations and residency opportunities.