Schlegel Centre for Learning, Research & Innovation in Long Term Care
Living Labs for Learning
The research-to-practice model for innovation includes 3 phases:
1. Incubation (The discovery & development of new ways of doing things.)
- Establish 3 incubator sites in long-term care homes: Guelph, Kitchener, and Waterloo.
- Conduct research programs in various theme areas.
2. Acceleration (The trialling and systematic variation of innovations in standardized long-term care environments.)
- Trial innovations in standardized, real-world environments: Does it integrate well? Is it affordable? Is it effective? Does it improve on current practice?
- Establish accelerator sites in 9 long-term care homes: Barrie, Burlington, Hamilton, Mississauga, Windsor, Brampton, Etobicoke, London, and Whitby.
3. Dissemination (Knowledge transfer to benefit the system as a whole, provincially, nationally & internationally.)
- Explore, develop and apply knowledge transfer technologies.
- Use distance education technologies.